Pages

DJ Whizlam's LinkedIn Profile

Friday, May 13, 2011

DJ Branding


I've had some time to think about the importance of branding since my Executive Leadership Online class assignment on the topic passed a few weeks ago.  I know that the image of a dj is just as important as the music that he/she plays behind turntables.  I'm currently trying to figure out the most creative way to brand myself, but so far it's been an uphill battle, because I'm a multi-layered individual.

I'm a hybrid of various musical genres that I both play and listen to privately, but how to properly market this conglomerate of tastes in music has been frustrating.  I believe every dj is unique and should have a marketing campaign behind them to showcase their talents.  At this stage of my career, I feel it's time to take matters into my own hands and create my own marketing campaign.  I'm not sure at all how this will happen, but I'm going to work at it constantly until I get a result.

The first thing I'm going to try and do it re-invent myself musically, which will be an interesting process to say the least.  I've recently been turned on to Dubstep, which right now is taking some time getting used to it.  Most of it I don't care for, but there are some serene style songs that I have heard that I like alot.  I have already been djing Hip Hop, Disco, House, Funk etc for years, but I am curious to see how adding Dubstep to my sets will work with my audience.

The other thing that I've been pondering, has been how to gain the interest of booking agents and venue promoters that work in this genre to take me on as a client.  I didn't realize how long Dupstep's been around and how most people are just now hearing about it.  The European market has been huge for this genre since 2002, and it's just now really beginning to make waves here in the states.  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to network with some Dubstep djs that I can spin with, and to gain a new following through adding this music to what I already play currently.

I want to seperate myself from the average dj, and I know doing so is a serious undertaking that will take some really hard work at this stage.  I believe I can do it, but the most important thing for me at this point is to leave a legacy behind when it's all over.  Many djs have come and gone before me, but I truly want to be one of the few that had remained true to why I became a dj in the first place.

It's always been about the music and not about popularity contests for me.  The music's always been good to me, so I believe I should be good to the music as well and represent it correctly.  These are the kinds of things that float though my mind on a regular basis, and I'm always trying to merge these ideas together to create something special.

Once I figure out how to combine my love for KISS and my love for hip hop djing, I believe I'll have a unique marketing approach that hasn't been seen or heard before.  If there's anyone online who would be willing to help take on this task will be much appreciated, because we all know nobody can do anything great alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment